Content is king
As marketing gurus say, content is king. This is so true that, according to a report by HRS, thereís a direct relationship between the quality of the content generated by a hotel brand and the number of bookings. This report claims that the more complete the content, the higher the possibilities to turn queries into reservations. Itís just a matter of knowing clientsí preferences so that they find it easier to book a stay in our hotel.
What do we talk about when we talk about content?Itís not the first time we try to solve this question. We did it in a†post†where we established the relationship between form and content. If we look it up in the dictionary, content is ďsomething included inside something elseĒ. If the website is wrapping paper, text, images, videos and links are content. Users tend to pay too much attention to the wrapping paper but we all know that what is inside should never be in a second place. Content is not only essential for big hotel chains but also for independent hotels. Itís very important to generate original content and spread it the right way so that the hotel brand is widely recognized. This fact has a direct impact on bookings and on the price travelers are willing to pay for their room. We must insist that both the content and the distribution channels are the key to success; what we communicate must be useful for our target audience -real or potential clients. Content is king and distribution is queen, so the hotel must know everything about existing distribution channels and the social networks most commonly used by their clients. This choice depends on brand strategy experts. They must know when, where and how to market their products and, only after that, the hotel will see the returns, which translate into higher conversion rates.
What can hotels do to turn a search into a booking?The research paper we mentioned above makes six proposals for any hotel establishment:
- Use professional digital images that reflect the personality and characteristics of the hotel. Donít forget to include the different types of rooms available. Weíve always said that the hotel product, as an intangible product, requires much more information than a tangible product, which can be seen, touchedÖ The use of high-quality images and accurate information reflects the hotelís brand values and creates confidence. This will help to convince future guests of the quality of the product they are about to book.
- Hire a professional translator. Descriptions must be in different languages as, obviously, guests can come from different countries. An accurate and reliable translation will convey more credibility.
- Offer detailed and accurate information about facilities, services and location. The services offered by the hotel must be carefully described, as guests have the right to know what they are actually hiring and where.
- Show availability and current bookings. When guests access the hotelís website they must know if they will be able to book a room. Itís not a good idea to make them waste their time trying to find it out. Make this process easy.
- Publish the cancellation policy and make it visible, donít omit information to clients. If someone wants to hire the services of a hotel, they must know the terms and conditions beforehand. Content must never be misleading.
- Gather and publish guestsí opinions and comments; they are really important nowadays. Guestsí experiences are proof of the hotelís quality and itís their advice on the hotel what other people follow before they book. Hotels should never ignore what guests say about them.